Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's the little things in life

12-09-09
If you know me very well, you know that it doesn’t take much for me to get excited. Lately it has been the little things that have encouraged me. Living here without knowledge of the culture and language can be quite difficult at times because you can’t even do just the basics without playing a game of charades. So hang with me here if you think these “little things” aren’t worth celebrating:

So I’ve really been trying to get my kitchen in order here because I am desperately missing cooking, baking and am wanting to make a few things for the holidays. Here, kitchens are quite small, but I am making do and am trying to see it as a fun challenge. We recently got an oven that sits on our countertop and last night I made an apple crisp in it with the apples I bought from my first trip to the market.





So last week we went shopping at a Chinese version of Ikea called 11Furniture. Now granted, it is definitely not an Ikea, but they still had lots of cute trendy things at very reasonable prices. Also if you know me, you know I like to brag about my bargains, so here is the deal I got on my dishes. Only a dollar a dish! And aren’t they cute!




On Sunday afternoon the girls and I needed some quality time together and we went and had our nails done. Now in the Midwest they were calling for a huge snow storm, and I was somewhat missing that holiday excitement that comes with winter weather. So I had snowflakes painted on. All the nail designs here have pictures or designs, so I went with it. And guess what?! They only cost me $1.50! I love China!

2 comments:

Kara said...

Kristi- adorable fingernails. I could and would do that if it was that cheap- I hope you continue to treat yourself to that- you should!

What neat dinnerware- glad you found something cute!

I totally understand getting excited about the little things!

Your apple crisp looked yummy! I made a batch of toffee today- it was a total FLOP! Ah man, how can one batch be perfect and the other one-2 weeks later just a big fat mess??
We have a ton of snow on the ground as you've probably heard! Josh probably is glad he's not here to scoop it.

Thanks for the update! You are in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

hi!! very cute dishes. so glad to see your blog & that you're doing well :)